en.news is a free, innovative application for English language learning, developed in partnership with CNN International, available online at https://en.news and for download from the Apple and Google Play app stores.
Our AI-based software technology creates a unique user experience for English language learning by automatically converting today’s news stories – authentic, current CNN articles and videos – into online English lessons that are pedagogically structured, levelled for proficiency and gamified (badges, points, and a global leaderboard). For free.
Each lesson highlights the 10-12 key words in an article, identified using a proprietary algorithm that takes into account CEFR levels, word frequency lists and the Academic Word Lists. After introducing the terms to the learner, the lesson drills those words using a variety of fun and engaging activities that practice listening, reading, speaking and writing. The lesson also identifies some common grammatical rules and structures and provides exercises to help the learner practice them.
• en.news is always FREE for both teachers and learners.
• Learning is aligned with personal and professional interests.
• Learners can curate vocabulary that is specific to their learning interests.
• en.news supports preparation for English certification tests such as TOEFL and IELTS.
• Learners earn points and badges and compete on a global leaderboard.