Do you need a work permit?
Find out if you need a work permit to work temporarily in Canada.
What you should know if you want to work in Canada
- Your employer may need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire you. This is a document from the Government of Canada that gives your employer permission to hire a foreign worker.
- Some jobs do not need an LMIA.
- Francophones can get a permit to work temporarily with the help of the Francophone Significant Benefit Program.
- You must meet the requirements to:
- enter the country,
- stay in Canada and
- get a work permit.This means you may also need a visitor visa.
- A work permit does not let you live in Canada permanently. To do so, you must qualify under an immigration category as a permanent resident.
- Live–in caregivers who meet certain requirements can apply to stay in Canada permanently.
- Your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children may apply to come to Canada with you.
Apply for a work permit
Find out if you are eligible for a work permit. You normally have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. Sometimes, you can apply as you enter Canada or from inside Canada, but many of the requirements are the same.
How you apply and how long it will take to process your application will depend on the kind of work you will do when you come to Canada.