Apply for Student Visa in the USA

You will first need to receive an admission letter and a certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant student status from your U.S. institution before you can begin the visa application process.

What are the different types of visas to study in the United States?

[button style=”btn-primary” url=”” size=”” block=”false” target=”_self”] F-1 Student Visa. [/button] The most common visa to study in the USA. It is for individuals who want to study at an accredited U.S. University, College or English language institute.

[button style=”btn-success” url=”” size=”” block=”false” target=”_self”] J-1 Exchange Visa. [/button] This visa is for people who will be participating in an exchange program (including high school and university studies).

[button style=”btn-warning” url=”” size=”” block=”false” target=”_self”] M-1 Student Visa. [/button]  This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational studies in the USA.

[accordion title=”EDUCAMIA+” style=”style3″ collapsed=”false”] Be ready for the Student Visa Process!

Allow plenty of time to prepare your application[/accordion]


3 Steps Visa Application Procedure

The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is a program within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. SEVP manages the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). It is the internet system that maintains records of foreign students during their stays in the USA.

[tabs style=”style2″]
[tab title=”STEP1″] Obtain your certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant student status: Form I-20 (for F or M visa) or Form DS-2019 (for J visa).

– To apply for a visa, you must first have received a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. The US Institute will supply the appropriate form only after you have:

– Been admitted to a SEVP-approved Institute.

– Attested that you can meet all the costs of the course.

– The Institute in the US that lets you in, then sends you a Form I-20 (for F or M visa) or Form DS-2019 (for J-visa). [/tab]
[tab title=”STEP2″] SEVIS cost- You must pay a SEVIS first. See SEVIS I-901 fee processing Website. You can as well visit [/tab]
[tab title=”STEP3″] Interview and Final Visa application

– Go to the U.S. non-immigrant visa website to complete the required Visa application forms.

– It is best practice to ensure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the end of your study in the United States.

– Be sure to have your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 and your SEVIS receipt.

– To schedule your visa interview, follow the information on the website of your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

– Be prepared in the Interview, to answer questions about proof of your financial status, your homeland, your English language level, your course in the USA, your academic background…


[accordion title=”EDUCAMIA+” style=”style3″ collapsed=”false”] Visa interview scheduling is done online or by phone at most U.S. embassies and consulates. [/accordion]


Please log in to rate this.
1 person found this helpful.